Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Spotty and Girly

Hollys room is coming along...slowly but surely, 
weve tried the bed in many different locations, and the furniture always seems to on the move aswell.

Weve decided to tackle the closet, big enough for a twelve year old im sure you will agree. It just needs a little organisation...and a little color injection.

The sides werent being used as they were hard to access and became a dumping ground, so we
 added some new rails to organise Hollys clothes better.  
We have moved her drawers on top of each other so better access is given to the sides of the closet.

As the rest of the decor has a spotty theme the drawers were mod podged and given a spotty makeover. The top drawer handles were sprayed with a few coats of gloss white and now they match together nicely.
and they can be hidden too
 Very girly indeed.  
Holly loves them....
We are still sorting through storage on the top shelves.

We made a white roman blind with a blackout lining to block out our sunny skies and bright lightening storms. 
We also added some brightly colored buttons to add a little interest.

The old brown and brass fan was updated too.
A little hand painting, a little spray painting and a new mirrored shade.


The headboard is another project. 
We used a 2inch sponge and covered it with heavy duty white canvas and attached it to a board. We used the same buttons as we did on the blind, and egded it with a spotty ribbon.

The spotty theme goes on.......

The bedding is from and looks great with all Hollys homemade cushions and extras. 
The canopy has been in Hollys room for years and it came from a french company called Vertbaudet, it has a great selection of kiddi decor.


This definitely is a room in progress, im on the lookout for a nice vintage dressing table for her, Ill let you know if I find one.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Little Frenchys first taste of my own Chalk paint.

I couldnt wait to start on my newest find
It was an old end table or nightstand, not sure which, all battered and looking for a new home....mine !!
I removed the hardware and left it over night to soak in white vinegar, it was badly tarnished but turned out to be a lovely copper color in the morning.
I had been reading how everyone was making their own version of chalk paint and decided to give it a go.
I used the recipe of 1 cup of paint with 1/4 cup of baking soda.
The results were fab, I carefully sanded down the table and set to paint.
The paint wasnt unlike another chalk paint I have used in the past.
 After painting and patiently waiting for it to dry....this is what always takes the longest...
 I used a fine grade sandpaper to buff and distress the table. The tabletop was a little too damaged to leave as it was so after deliberation of what to do I decided to get a custom piece of mirror to fit.
Here is the result.
Hope you like it....